Monday, November 28, 2011

Day 28

Today I am thankful for time with my five-year-old daughter. I love all of my children, of course, but one-on-one time with my children, since I had four kiddos in five and a half years, can be hard to come by. Today, I just ran a few errands with my five-year-old...we dropped little brother off to preschool and then headed to the library. She helped me find the last book in the Mitford series I've been reading, and we picked out a couple of movies. She also asked to get a book in the fairy series she likes, as well as two American Girl books for herself and her sister. Next, we stopped at Aldi and filled our cart with groceries. My five-year-old is amazing at packing the bags afterwards, knowing just how to fit the cans in one bag, boxes in another, cold things in another. She is quite serious when it comes to working hard, and it makes me smile to watch her. We made one more stop at Walmart for the items Aldi doesn't carry, and then headed home. She started to decorate the "fancy tree" in the living room while I unpacked the groceries.
All of this may sound pretty ordinary, nothing terribly special, but today was a little bit different. I had just heard that a friend's five-year-old daughter was having surgery this morning...having her kidney removed and starting chemo due to Wilms Tumor Cancer. Today I am more grateful than ever for an "ordinary" day with my children!

1 comment:

  1. our lives are made up of ordinary moments. treasure them!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say about this...