Friday, November 11, 2011

11/11/11 and It's Day 11 of Thankfulness

Today is Veteran's Day and I am thankful for all who have served and who continue to serve. My father, both of my grandfathers, my husband's grandfathers, friends near and far, and brave people I have never met...thank you all for your courage and your dedication.

Here are a few quotes I found fitting for today:
"Freedom is never free." -Author Unknown

"When our perils are past, shall our gratitude sleep?" -George Canning

"Courage is almost a contradiction in terms. It means a strong desire to live taking the form of readiness to die." -G.K. Chesterton

"This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave." -Elmer Davis

"Courage is fear holding on a minute longer." -George S. Patton

"It is easy to take liberty for granted, when you have never had it taken from you." -Unknown

Here are the lyrics to "Thank You, Soldier" by Angela and Michael Souders
"When I lay my head down every night
and go to sleep in peace,
I can stay there knowing all is well
While you're standing on your feet.
Keeping watch, protecting shore to shore
In the air and oceans, too
Defending freedom at all cost,
For the red, white and the blue.
Thank you, Oh thank you
Men and women, brave and strong
To those who served so gallantly
We sing this grateful song.
To the soldiers who have traveled on
to countries far and near
In peace and war you paid the price
For the cause you hold so dear.
That we may wake each morning bright
And know that freedom rings
Because of your great sacrifice
Your country joins to sing...
Thank you, Oh thank you!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you have to say about this...