Monday, February 21, 2011

Turning 38

Sometimes I worry about getting old. I study my face in the mirror, searching for lines and wrinkles. I scowl at my hair as I discover gray (and white!) hair. I fret when the scale tips and my clothes feel tight. And today I turned 38, just two years from the Big 4-0!
But today was amazing...
I awoke to my girls hugging me and wishing me a happy birthday. Soon afterwards, my three-year-old son, clad in a pair of Cars briefs, climbed on me and gave me hugs and kisses. Then my husband appeared with a gift bag. Inside were two cards...an adorable one from the three younger kiddos, and a very suitable (and funny) one from hubby. I reached in the bag again to find my favorite gum (yes, I am addicted to gum! I chew it all the time and I snap it and pop loud bubbles...very annoying to anyone around me, but I can't seem to help myself!!) Also inside was a pink and gray case and a protective screen cover for...my new iPhone 4!! Yippeee!! After some more hugs, I got up and made myself a cup of coffee (in my Christmas gift, the beautiful Keurig) and checked my Facebook. Now say what you will about Facebook, but I love it (I'll blog about that topic very soon!) As I went to my profile, I got the biggest smile on my face...there were over 100 sweet "happy birthday" messages from friends and family all over the world! From California to Alaska to Canada to Thailand!!! I was feelin' the love, for sure. Next, I packed the girls for their special time at my parents', then did a legs/back/abs workout. I know. I worked out on my birthday! That's the first time I have ever done that...38 years and exercise is now a priority for me and something I truly look forward to!! Then it was time to get ready to meet family at The Cheesecake Factory. My parents plus NCH (who had spent a few days with them), both sisters, brother-in-law, and niece (and later my other brother-in-law arrived too!) While we were waiting to be seated, NCH handed me a package. Inside was a heart-shaped tin, and inside of that was a large assortment of earrings! My sweet almost 9-year-old used his own "money" at AWANA ("shares" he had earned for memorizing Bible verses) and bought me a birthday gift!!!! I was incredibly touched and fought to hold in my tears. I'll never forget that thoughtful gift! We had a delicious lunch, and yes, I caved and went for a giant slice of some sort of peanut butter chocolate layered cheesecake! Mmmmmmm!
Later in the day, NJH took a nap, NCH had some computer time and hubby and I spent an hour snuggled on the couch, hubby snoozing, me not so much (but it was relaxing!) For dinner, hubby suggested one of my favorites - Pancho's takeout!! (Pancho's salsa is AMAZING!! I could bathe in it I love it so much!) We enjoyed a fabulous dinner and now my boys are laughing, watching, "Over the Hedge." Earlier in the day, I received two special phone calls - my grandparents, singing Happy Birthday, and my in-laws, also singing Happy Birthday!!
So turning 38 couldn't have been better. I am truly blessed!

1 comment:

  1. what a wonderfull day you had! life is sweet.
    you are blessed with a loving family.
    i too have gray hair, age spots, sagging you know what's. hahaha! it's all ok. because some day God will give me a new body! and i am so looking forward to that! LOL happy birthday again my friend.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say about this...