Thursday, December 24, 2009

A Song That Moves Me


A dear friend gave me a wonderful gift the other evening: a CD from an artist new to me, Sara Groves. Her album "O Holy Night" was lovely! She has a soothing, airy voice and her take on traditional Christmas carols was very interesting and pleasing to the ear. When I heard the song, "To Be With You," I was moved to tears. We had just celebrated Christmas with my side of the family at my parents' lake house and I had been so emotional that day, thinking what a blessing it was to have my four children, my husband, my parents, my sisters and their husbands, and my grandparents there with me. How many people can say that, and how many more earthly years will I have all I hold dear with me?
Here are the lyrics to "To Be With You" -
We come in from our travels/Lay our gifts beneath the tree/My mother's in the kitchen/The parade is on TV/My father's with his father/They're setting out some toys/The kids all want the train he's had/Since he was a boy
CHORUS: To be with you/To be with you/I love this time of year/It always brings me here/To be with you
(my most teary part): I FALL IN WITH MY SISTERS/JUST LIKE WHEN WE WERE YOUNG/MY GRANDMA HOLDS THE BABY/SHE ROCKS AND SOFTLY HUMS/We gather round the table/We close our eyes and sing/"Praise God from whom all blessings flow"
To be with you/To be with you/I love this time of year/It always brings me here/To be with you
We set out milk and cookies/The kids are quick to bed/They know St. Nick is coming/And nothing need be said/We gather by the fire/Reminiscing by its light/The kids will be up early/But it's hard to say goodnight
To be with you/To be with you/I love this time of year/It always brings me here/To be with you

1 comment:

  1. wow! what wonderful lyrics! they made me cry! Hold onto those family moments K!! they could be gone tomorrow...
    i know this all too well. :(

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say about this...