Thursday, September 8, 2011

Summer 2011 Reading List

I spent my summer with Harry, Ron, Hermione, Percy, Annabeth, Father Tim, Cynthia, Katniss, Peeta, Gregor and Boots...
I started the summer with a challenge from my 9 year old son: read all the Harry Potter books! So I did!! I spent about a month immensely enjoying all 7 books. We’re also making our way through the movies, with just 3 left to watch.
I recently read The Hunger Games triology…LOVED these book and literally could not put them down!!!!
I started the Mitford Series, books one and two were terrific. I’m about to start the 3rd.
I started the Gregor Series by Suzanne Collins (Hunger Games author) and really liked book one. I just got book 2 out of the library today. This was a fast read, likely targeted for 8-11 yr olds. I hope my son reads the series – I think he’ll enjoy it.
I also started the Percy Jackson & The Olympians series…so far, I’ve read books 1 and 2. Another fast read. My son and I are sharing the books and we’ve had fun “comparing” them to the Harry Potter series.
I read a Kristen Hannah book, not the best. Pretty predictable with an unnecessary amount of swearing. I have to be careful with 2 young readers in the house now!
So what next? Finish the Mitford series, the Gregor series and the Percy series. I also requested “The Help” from the library a month ago…looks like a popular one, as I’m still waiting to borrow it. I put a “book suggestion” plea out on facebook at the beginning of the summer and it generated a nice long list…I’m chipping away at it here and there.
It’s been wonderful to escape into the world of books…I noticed that I watched very little TV this summer. Sure, we had “kid” movies and shows on here and there, but I loved the feeling of looking forward to jumping into a book and “meeting up” with the characters before I drifted off to sleep.

1 comment:

I'd love to hear what you have to say about this...