Wednesday, January 20, 2010

A Tuesday

Yesterday was another "nothing super special" kind of a day, but I enjoyed my time with the kids...I'm running again (so doing something good for me), I had a great night's sleep, and I was eating well, so I think that combination helps put me in a great state of mind! (I am more patient anyway!!)
So Monday had been a holiday (MLK day) and the kiddos were up a little after 7am. Tuesday was back to school and, wouldn't you know it, they had to be woken at 8:10am! We hurried through the morning routine, got the older two on the bus, took KBH to preschool, and then NJH and I headed home to do laundry, tidy up a bit, and play. I can't even describe how much I am enjoying my time with him! He is our "last" and I have never had a child his age without another baby on the scene. I find myself more patient with him, noticing the fun little things, and cherishing this time. Yesterday was Day Nine in undies, doing well with #2, but still having many #1 accidents. He loves his new Sesame Street undies, but has trouble staying dry for longer periods of time. At home, I let him wear just the undies, but when we're out and about, I've been putting plastic pants on over the undies, just in case.
After getting KBH from preschool, we had a friend and her daughter over for a short playdate/lunch date. It was so nice to visit with her!
Before I knew it, it was nap time. CAH had an afternoon playdate get canceled (mix up in dates), so she was a little sad. I pulled out a gift she had received for her 4th birthday, but we'd never played with: a really amazing paper doll set! Her eyes lit up and we spent the next 2 hours getting them set up and playing.

By then, NCH was home from school and the younger two were up from their naps. Everyone enjoyed hot cocoa with marshmallows and then it was homework time. CAH did a lovely job working at the island. KBH wanted homework too, so we pulled out her "Pooh Preschool Workbook." I can't believe the difference in her skills from a few months ago to now: she is writing letters and following directions beautifully! Of course she was sporting a dress up necklace and at least 3 dress up rings as she did her work!!! Anyway, CAH was showing us her very neat handwriting and KBH was eager to copy...very cute watching them interact. After proudly showing us is 100% on his chapter 6 math test, NCH headed down to his desk (in the "basement office") and quickly finished his spelling homework. I can't describe the energy in the house at that time - everyone was busy, very productive, working and accomplishing. I can only imagine what homeschooling this herd would be like! (I haven't closed that door on that one...)

Soon it was dinner time: NCH planned this week's meals, so it was burgers and spinach salad. (I also pulled a container of pea and ham soup out of the freezer, to fill this hungry crew.) It's fun to watch this bunch eat: they all went for the hard boiled eggs on the spinach salad first, then the burger, then the soup, then they asked for more egg to put on the spinach! Who knew kids could like hard boiled eggs so much?!! It was a good thing I've been making up a plate for hubby on the nights he works late, or he wouldn't have any dinner at all!
After dinner, CAH took out the recyclables but couldn't find a place for the egg cartons, so I told her she and her sister could use them for crafts. They went right to work with markers, designing their "boats." NJH wanted to color too, but I gave him crayons and a fire safety coloring book instead (he nipped the ends off the markers the last time he used them!!) NCH was very busy on the computer (he's had a ball with the legos/star wars web site.)

Before I knew it, it was bath time: I like taking the kids up one at a time for bath. It's quieter and drier!! CAH was first, then KBH, then NCH. When they were done, hubby bathed NJH while NCH read on his own and I read to the girls. We also reviewed their AWANA verses. I am thrilled with not only their ability to memorize the Bible, but their willingness, eagerness! CAH just finished memorizing the books of the New Testament and is now on to John 3:14-16. KBH has just two verses left in her book, and NCH is finishing up the last section of Old Testament books memory.
Once the kiddos were tucked in bed, I enjoyed a little "American Idol" on TV, folded the last of the laundry, and knit a few rows on the baby blanket I am making for my niece or nephew!! Then it was time to heat my "hot bag" (warm neck pillow), read a little of "And the Shofar Blew" (by Francine Rivers) and off to dreamland for me.
It was a great day: nothing super spectacular, but memories were made and I know my children were loved.

(photo taken earlier in the month - NCH skiing at the lake)

2 comments:

  1. I clicked through your blog from Kalyn's Kitchen and wanted to tell you that your family is beautiful! I used to have that plaid couch in my living room and I also did couch to 5K - I can't say enough great things about the program!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say about this...