Saturday, December 3, 2011

On the 3rd Day of Christmas Music Posts

So yesterday's choice was quite melancholy, today is just the opposite: Christmas in Killarney!!!
Go ahead, laugh. I know you're laughing.
I just played every version of that song ever recorder, thanks to Spotify ;) and it DROVE MY HUSBAND CRAZY! It's a super happy song, quite Irish, and I love it!! Although I don't think I have any Irish blood in me,
my hair is red and I have lots of freckles.
My favorite color is green.
I love Celtic music.
My favorite artists include Enya, U2 and Celtic Woman.
And in Spring 1992, I pledged Sigma Gamma Phi (Arethusa) whose colors are green and white.
I first heard "Christmas in Killarney" on my Anne Murray "Best of the Season" Christmas CD about ten years ago. I fell in love with the song immediately, with its skippity beat, fife and fiddles. It's quite the perfect music for decorating the tree, hanging lights or dancing around the house.
There are many versions of this song, but I think my favorite is Anne Murray's (although Bing Crosby has a nice arrangement as well.) Written in 1950, it definitely has an "oldies" feel to it. Go give it a listen...be warned, you may have to dance a little!


The holly green, the ivy green
The prettiest picture you've ever seen
Is Christmas in Killarney
With all of the folks at home

It's nice, you know, to kiss your beau
While cuddling under the mistletoe
And Santa Claus you know, of course
Is one of the boys from home

The door is always open
The neighbors pay a call
And Father John before he's gone
Will bless the house and all

How grand it feels to click your heels
And join in the fun of the jigs and reels
I'm handing you no blarney
The likes you've never known
Is Christmas in Killarney
With all of the folks at home

1 comment:

  1. sounds like fun! We must have Irish blood somewhere.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say about this...