Monday, December 5, 2011

Four and Five

Yesterday was super busy so I never got the chance to share my pick of the day...today's post will count as days four and five:
"Hark! The Herald Angels Sing" is definitely a long-time favorite of mine. I would listen to it over and over on the old Amy Grant's "A Christmas Album" from 1983. Actually, my uncle had the LP record and made me a cassette tape of that album!! I love the way Amy Grant starts the song simply, then adds to it little by little. The harmonies are very traditional and pleasing to the ear. The final verse is very regal...I picture a cathedral processional, much like a royal wedding or coronation.
Recently, I was introduced to Jewel's version of this song...and it gave me some serious goosebumps! Her ethereal voice paired with the acoustic guitar to start is lovely. When she changes up the melody line at the key change on "Hail! The heaven-born prince of peace", I could cry it's so beautiful!
I just did a Spotify search of this song and I'm blown away at the number of recordings!! From She-Daisy to Straight With No Chaser to John Tesh to Disney to VeggieTales to Charlotte Church to Chris Botti to Willie Nelson and the list goes on (and ON!) And who wouldn't love Trans-Siberian Orchestra's mash-up of "The March of the Kings" and "Hark! The Herald Angels Sing"?!! SO powerful with the rockin' guitars and drums!!
"Hark! The Herald Angels Sing" is clearly a classic Christmas song that isn't going to be forgotten anytime soon.

"Hark! The Herald Angels Sing" by Charles Wesley (music by Felix Mendelssohn)

Hark! The herald angels sing
"Glory to the newborn King!
Peace on earth and mercy mild
God and sinners reconciled"
Joyful, all ye nations rise
Join the triumph of the skies
With the angelic host proclaim:
"Christ is born in Bethlehem"
Hark! The herald angels sing
"Glory to the newborn King!"

Christ by highest heav'n adored
Christ the everlasting Lord!
Late in time behold Him come
Offspring of a Virgin's womb
Veiled in flesh the Godhead see
Hail the incarnate Deity
Pleased as man with man to dwell
Jesus, our Emmanuel
Hark! The herald angels sing
"Glory to the newborn King!"

Hail the heav'n-born Prince of Peace!
Hail the Son of Righteousness!
Light and life to all He brings
Ris'n with healing in His wings
Mild He lays His glory by
Born that man no more may die
Born to raise the sons of earth
Born to give them second birth

Hark! The herald angels sing
"Glory to the newborn King
!"

1 comment:

I'd love to hear what you have to say about this...