Sunday, December 18, 2011

For Yesterday - Day 17

Day 17
This is a little-known song, but when I sang it at Claverack Elementary School (many, many years ago), it spoke to me. “The Secret of Christmas” was written by Sammy Cahn and Jimmy Van Heusen for Bing Crosby.
I could only find a few recordings, notably by Julie Andrews, Bing Crosby, SHeDAISY and a new-to-me and wonderful acapella arrangement by The Vocal Majority. The message of the song is very meaningful:

The Secret of Christmas

It's not the glow you feel, when snow appears
It's not the Christmas card, you've sent for years
Not the joyful sound, when sleigh bells ring
Or the merry songs, children sing

Yeah the little gift you send, on Christmas day
Will not bring back the friend, you turned away
So may I suggest, the secret of Christmas
It's not the things you do, at Christmas time
But the Christmas things you do all year through

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you have to say about this...